Finally, you have plans to dive mobile VPNs. Don’t you know how and where to start with that? Not to worry, for you are not the only one. This easy-going guide is going to help you set up VPN on your Android, iPhone or any other handset.
Most of the digital life of people exist on mobile phones these days. Whether you are chatting with buddies, shopping online or banking via your phone, the internet is becoming mandatory. The world is probably not entirely internet dependent yet, but you cannot deny that you are connected almost always. In spite of the conveniences of practically sleeping online, you are vulnerable to privacy threats. Without appropriate protection, all your information about online preferences will fall into the wrong hands, especially unethical hackers. Opting to use a Virtual Private Having VPN on phones is an excellent way to maintain security. VPNs provide protection when you are at home or connected to a public Wi-Fi. By the end, you will know how to use the VPN on android and ios.
Compelling motives to download a VPN on your handset
There are several reasons to download a VPN on your phone. The most important being,
- Make your searches private. Whatever you do on the web is entirely your business. To keep your matters private, a VPN will help by hiding an important number called the IP address. You know a search engine is spying on you when you receive appropriate options on things that you have searched for recently.
- Public Wi-Fi is insecure. A VPN provides encryption to your connection while preventing third parties from seeing your online activities. Never confuse a proxy server with a VPN even when both hide the IP address of the user. Proxy servers do not provide encryption facilities.
- Content blocks are imposed based on your IP address. Using a VPN allows you to access content on anything and everything and everywhere. Regardless of your location, you can always retrieve inaccessible websites.
Setting up the VPN on your phone
VPNs come in all forms and sizes. When you are choosing one, the parameters are personal needs and preferences. Type of phone you are using also becomes a factor. The most relaxed way of setting up and using a VPN is to start by downloading an app from a VPN provider. It is the fastest way of getting started. Apps are advantageous as you are allowed to select and save your preferences. Configuration is also straightforward. There is a catch though. There are numerous VPN apps available, How to know which one to choose?
- A VPN’s job is to keep the network private. You should not pick one that holds records or logs.
- Always select a paid VPN. You have to pay for the VPN apps you are using.
- Protocols of a VPN provider will regulate the dependability, speed, and security of your connection. An OpenVPN offers the highest levels of security whereas Point-To-Point-Tunneling-Protocols provide high speed. The choice is yours.
A stricter way to set up a VPN
Along with an OpenVPN, other protocols are also available which you can use. The process will be either natively through the device or by using a VPN platform. You can use whichever one you prefer but only as long as your provider supports it.
- The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol or L2TP is unable to protect on its own. To enable the protection, you have to apply it with Internet Protocol Security or IPSec. L2TP is a favorite combination protocol and is compatible with most devices. Unfortunately, the implementation is less.
- The Internet Key Exchange, Version 2 or IKEv2 is also one that needs to pair with IPSec to become a VPN protocol. IKEv2 is a remarkably steady protocol with tight security. Unique features include jumping between connections but not compatible on many platforms.
- You already know Point-To-Point-Tunneling-Protocol or PPTP. It works on most platforms and is very fast. Though, it does not deliver sufficient security.
Setting up protocols for Android and IOS
Now it is time to explain, how to use the VPN on android and ios. In case of an Android handset, check if VPN provider’s site if it is supporting OpenVPN protocol. Then download the necessary files. You need a file manager to extract the ZIP file. You will also need to download the OpenVPN based on difference OS from the app store. You are ready to go once you have these two. For an iPhone, you have to download OpenVPN Connect from the app store. After that, the process is relatively simple. Go to the VPN provider’s website and download configuration files. Once you have every file, tap on the button to add a server. Repeat the process to add the required number of servers. In the end, enter your VPN authorizations to connect. The other protocols have more cons than pros. Thus, it is better for you to go with the OpenVPN.